Bamboo has been adored for centuries due to it practical use and its pleasing look. Bamboo are a type of perennial (meaning a plant that lives for more than 2 years) plant that is believed to have originated in China nearly 5,000 years ago. The origin of the word “bamboo” has not been determined, but many believe that it may be a Malay word reinterpreted and translated into Dutch or Portuguese. The insides of bamboo are hollow and the outsides are fibrous, making it the perfect plant to for using for construction and manufacturing purposes. Are you interested in knowing more about this unique plant? Read below for more bamboo wall art facts!
Speed & Seeds
- Did you know that bamboo is the fastest growing perennial, flowering plant in the world? The only thing type of plant that grows quicker is kelp, which is a type of seaweed the grows solely underwater.
- Due to the fibrous look of the stalks, many people believe bamboo is similar in nature to a tree! Did you know that bamboo is officially recognized as a type of grass? Bamboo has tiny, shallow roots just like the grass in your lawn!
- Did you know that areas with bamboo are cooler? Bamboo cools down any surrounding area by up to 8 degrees during the summer.
- Many plants have seeds that are carried by the air or insects. These seeds fall to the ground and eventually flower. Bamboo is completely different. It rarely flowers and seeds; in fact, new bamboo only grows every 100 years! Read below for more bamboo wall art facts!
Food & Animals
- There isn’t only one type of bamboo in the word, surprisingly enough! There are over 1,500 species of bamboo spread out across Earth. Australia has nearly 400 bamboo varieties, which isn’t well known! Many people think of bamboo growth as only possible in Asia, but it’s worldwide!
- Did you know that humans can also eat bamboo? Although not all bamboo tastes good, most bamboo has shoots. Bamboo shoots are harvested and prepared while they are young, which is before they turn hard and fibrous. Why not use some shoots in your next stir fry?
- We all know pandas love bamboo, but did you know that 99% of their diet is solely composed of bamboo shoots, poles and leaves? Pandas are big, so they have to eat quite a bit to stay full. How does nearly 300 pounds a day sound? Crazy, right? An even more interesting fact is that pandas are only able to consume 42 types of bamboo.
- Speaking of animals, there are some that absolutely hate bamboo! Did you know that snakes don’t like it at all? They prefer to sleep and move in natural environments that are warm and quiet. Snakes, therefore, avoid bamboo because its hollow interiors are both loud and cool. Read below for more bamboo wall art facts!
Environment & Water
- Bamboo has even more functions than being food, building material, and a natural cooling system. Bamboo is actually one of the best plants for soil! It provides soil stability and prevents soil erosion. Essentially, bamboo is perfect for protecting natural and man-made structures like riverbanks, dams and gardens.
- Speaking of alternate uses, bamboo contains many complex compounds that make exceptionally useful. Were you aware that bamboo is naturally anti-bacterial and anti-fungal? Bamboo is used to make safe and environmentally friendly cloth, linen and even charcoal! Bamboo is often used in skin-care as oil-based exfoliants and moisturizers.
- We previously established that bamboo has over 1,500 varieties, but were you aware that these varieties can greatly differ in appearance! Not all bamboo is green and tan! Bamboo comes in many different shapes, sizes and colors. Bamboo comes in black, brown, blue, white orange, red, purple and gray! That’s right! Bamboo covers nearly every shade in the rainbow!
- One of the reasons for bamboo’s enduring popularity are its physical features. Everything about the physicality of bamboo ensures that it survives no matter what. Did you know that bamboo is so tough that it can completely survive a drought! That’s right! Even when bamboo is in great need of water, it endures. When bamboo is severely dehydrated, its leaves curl up to preserve what little moisture they contain. Did you enjoy these bamboo wall art facts?
Bamboo is truly one of the world’s most magnificent plants. Fast growing and extremely durable, bamboo has so many different uses! Why not try preparing a delicious dish with bamboo shoots? Why not decorate your house with a bamboo décor? How about washing your face with a bamboo-based cleanser? Whatever you choose to do, bamboo has definitely got your back! We hope you enjoyed reading these bamboo wall art facts!